CHCNS is a teacher-led parent cooperative, owned and operated by its members. Parents manage the entire operation of the school, hire the preschool teacher, and assist in the classroom on a rotating basis. The parents administer the school and share the tasks of evaluating its aims and policies. They hire and rehire the director/teacher and assist in the classroom on a scheduled basis. Responsibilities include one school job per family, membership meeting attendance, fundraising, chaperoning field trips, and generally assisting to make the school run smoothly. Parents are free to contribute any special skills they may have that would benefit program operations or the classroom learning experience. Parents work alongside the teacher to support classroom activities and overall classroom and student goals as determined by the teacher.
Why Choose a Cooperative?
Participation in a cooperative preschool allows you to be directly involved with your child’s early education. Benefits of a cooperative school include:
- Ability to supervise and observe your child in the classroom and reinforce classroom experience at home
- Interaction with a community of parents who share your commitment to early childhood education
- Opportunities to learn from the teacher alongside your child
- Extra time to bond with your child, get to know their peers, and reinforce the importance of education through your own participation
Tuition is kept low by the cooperative sharing of the many tasks involved in the running of a successful preschool. Parents volunteer for the job that best suits their skills and aptitudes.
Cooperative jobs include, but are not limited to, the following:
- First Vice President/Scheduling
- Second Vice President/Membership
- Third Vice President
Special Activity Areas
- Technology Specialist
- Marketing/PR Manager
- Field Trips and Class Parties
- Purchasing, Inventory and Classroom Maintenance